What Is an Immigration Essay
Let us perhaps start with the overall definition of essay on immigration. What even is this?
It is an article that discusses refugee or asylum seekers, those people wanting to move to other countries, or those needing residence. There are many different perspectives one can take on this topic. Students can discuss citizens who are displaced because of a certain purpose.
It is possible to talk about asylum seekers who had to flee their country because of political opinion, gender common nationality, sexual orientation, or simply because they were prosecuted.
For example, the United States usually offers different ways that a person can use and become a citizen. Some people seek refugee status and file for asylum, either affirmative or defensive. Others can do it for getting a work permit. There are also different kinds of visas including work and talent ones.
However, choose one issue you want to discuss as you might only have five paragraphs to do so.
High School Immigration Essay
Before we get to other things, let’s talk more about an immigration essay for high school. This topic is especially relevant in school because it provides you with lots of opportunities for research and helps you develop arguments. Students should also know that it is rather controversial. So, everything you say must be supported by evidence. Here are several steps one can take to succeed.
- Find some creative immigration essays samples.
- Find a topic that you might have discussed during your class or something you were personally interested in.
- Remember that high school articles might be short. So, stick with a narrow topic.
- Study and create body paragraphs.
- If you want a high-quality article, make an outline.
- Never skip such steps as editing and proofreading.
We think that you know this, but keep in mind that a normal article must have one introduction, three body paragraphs, and one conclusion. Good luck!
College Essays About Immigration
We are not leaving you without some excellent immigration college essay examples. That is why we want to give you a more detailed guide before you actually check samples.
- Look at any sample of immigration essay available here.
- Think about the perspective you would like to take on this topic.
- Choose a topic, preferably one that is narrow enough. So, you can discuss a subject matter without exceeding word count.
- Do proper study. It might be the most time-consuming part of all, yet worthy in the end.
- Make an outline. Many students miss this step, but it is an important one for sure.
- Start drafting main body paragraphs.
- When finished with the main body, start the introduction.
- Finish conclusion.
- Cite all used resources if you haven't already.
- Finish the article by editing, spell-checking, and proofreading.
- All done!
Positive and Negative Effects of Immigration Essay
Believe it or not, you might also want to write the negative effects of immigration essay. Yes, there are some. Sadly, this topic is not all about rainbows and sunshine as everyone hopes it is.
Of course, there are also positive effects of immigration essay.
You might want to combine both premises all at once to make sure you have lots of stuff to write about. Besides, it will allow you to consider both sides of the argument without offending anyone and considering all points of view.
Good Immigration Essay Examples From Easy to Unique
We finally can get to immigration essays examples. We want to highlight once more that they were donated to us by other students. This means that every single article you see was already submitted and graded by the professor. We are sure that these articles work and they will inspire you greatly when you craft your own paper.
All short essay immigration essay examples have a very simple structure. Look at it below:
- Main body (3 paragraphs)
That is the first thing one should definitely remember. Moreover, all samples that you find here are free and limitless. Therefore, download them in pdf format and use them as much as you’d like. So don’t worry about other stuff you must do. Start with samples!
Immigration Argumentative Essay Examples
Here you will find free argumentative essays examples on immigration. But before we get to an argumentative essay about immigration pdf, you probably need to know more about this type of article.
Argumentative papers are rather self-explanatory. You must choose an argument you want to defend and prove it using academic writing. When it comes to this topic one can argue. For example, asylum policies in the United States have been changed greatly after the Trump administration.
There is more than one sample argumentative essay pdf students can take when writing on immigration. We also would like you to know that these topics and perspectives might not be favored by everyone. So you must prepare to defend your case and prove it using evidence. To make your argument stronger, include the following things in your article:
- Academic sources
Immigration Persuasive Essay
Persuasive essays on immigration are very similar to argumentative ones. Here you also must select your point of view and perspective you would like to develop further.
For instance, here try to convince or persuade your readers that terrorism is not linked with refugees or asylum-seekers. Not everyone agrees with this perspective on the topic. Especially this will be touchy for Republicans who vote against helping immigration policies. That is why each point you’re making must be attributed to scholarly sources.
A persuasive essay example about immigration is an excellent opportunity to practice argumentation and academic rating in general. You’ll find that there are lots of different journals and resources available. Your job is to structure your paper correctly and effectively.
Immigration Essay Outline
Are you looking for an outline about immigration? We happen to have one just for you. Remember that outline is now made from full sentences. It should be short.
Outline for essay about immigration
- Hook: find statistics on this topic or use a quotation about it.
- Background: talk more about its origin.
- Thesis statement: a quick rundown of one's argument and points that will be mentioned in body paragraphs.
- Introductory sentence: state the main point of this paragraph.
- Evidence: use scholarly sources to prove that one has grounds for this argument and point.
- Explanation: balance evidence with your own written words.
- Concluding or transitional sentence: if needed, it should lead to one's next paragraph.
- Thesis using different words
- Summary of one's main points
- Closing statement: what do you want your readers to remember last about this topic and article?
Use it as your guide towards success!
Immigration Essay Introduction
We mentioned the structure. Thus, let us start with an introduction to immigration essay. It is usually the first part readers see. Therefore, it is an excellent way to make a first impression. The introduction includes the following elements:
- Hook: it can be a quote, data, statistics, or even a rhetorical question about one’s topic.
- Some basic information: for instance, define asylum if you’re researching it.
- Thesis: main argument and at least three points that will be discussed in the main body.
If you have this structure, then you will definitely succeed with your introduction. However, keep in mind that one should definitely write an introduction after you have drafted the main body. It will make the overall process quicker, easier, and less time-consuming. However, the thesis should be written first.
Immigration introduction paragraph example
Many countries around the world are having growing population. This population is becoming unsustainable and there is a rising rate of poverty, violence and other related issues. As a result more and more people are immigrating to probable safer and favorable nations. They move here in search of good employment, business opportunity or just to seek amnesty from their warring or poverty stricken countries. Today, America is seen as a safe haven for immigrants from across the globe. In fact, today America is home to over 40 million immigrants, they amount to over 14 percent of its total population (Gladstein 16). Unfortunately, this immigration comes with complicated issues and is posing numerous problems to the US government and the nation as a whole. This essay aims to showcase the real problem brought about by immigration and the much needed solutions to these issues.
Immigration Essay Thesis Statement
A thesis statement about immigration is arguably one of the most important parts of any work, including this one. The thesis is the first thing one should write. We also advise you to have it near you or right in front of you at all times. Students can definitely include it into their outline and obviously keep it close.
An excellent thesis will include your main argument and all the points you will be mentioning in body paragraphs. If you have three body paragraphs, then three points must be mentioned. Besides, everyone should be able to read the thesis and understand your perspective.
We do have lots of samples, but start with one below and move from there.
Thesis statement for immigration essay
Immigration is a complex process that might take years, yet hopefully lead to employment, resettlements, and safety in the process.
5 Paragraph Essay About Immigration
When you are writing a paragraph about immigration, you need to know how to work with it. Normally, five paragraphs include the first paragraph for an introduction, three body paragraphs, and one concluding paragraph. With that said, the introduction and conclusion each take up to 10% of your overall work. Therefore, the main body is 80% of your paper, whether it is only three paragraphs or more.
As it is a rather lengthy part, one should definitely include evidence and cite the sources you have used. The format of citations will depend on your subject. One can research APA, MLA, and Chicago styles as a start.
Also, don’t forget to see all the samples that we have prepared for you.
Example of body paragraph on immigration
Recently, following the hyped immigration movements to America, there is increased threats of illegal immigration and even terrorism (Ahn 319). America is no longer safe, there is loopholes in the boundaries and aliens are smuggling weapons and explosives to the US. This is posing a serious threat to US residents. The illegal immigration is now intense and it is estimated there are more than 12 million aliens residing within the US. This population is growing at a rate of 700,000 per year. This points out how porous and dangerously open the American borders are.
Immigration Essay Conclusion
Another thing is that you will definitely write a conclusion for immigration essay. You might be surprised, but the introduction and conclusion are very close. That is why we recommend writing to them all together after you have finished the main body paragraphs.
The conclusion of immigration will require the following steps mentioned below.
- Go back to your thesis and repeat its main argument using other words.
- Briefly summarize the main points you have made throughout the article.
- Try not to add any new information that wasn’t mentioned before.
- Think about the final impression you want to make. When the readers finish with your paper, they must think about it even after reading.
- Don’t forget to edit and proofread it.
Example of conclusion about immigration essay
The government needs to come up with programs to adopt this population to the workforce rather than hunt them down. There may be criminals among them, but there are also industrious workers and entrepreneurs who may be of great significance to the nation. There is a need to dispel the stereotypes that have been upheld regarding these aliens. It’s perceived that immigrants have tendencies to be criminals and some natives think that immigrants bring in diseases; this is illogical and backward thinking. In fact, it is totally contrary that native are reported in violent actions more than aliens. Immigrants are bringing in progress in economy, social and religious diversity and more importantly bringing ethnic interactions and mixing. The federal government needs to come up with policies to utilize them in building the economy. There can also be centers to check in immigrants and have them screened to ensure no illegal stuff is sneaked into the US.
Bonus: Use our conclusion paragraph generator and make this part of your essay excellent.
How to Write an Essay About Immigration
Writing about immigration additionally involves the steps we listed here.
- Read successful examples of immigration writing. As we said before, they are all free and easily accessible here in pdf. They were also donated to us by other students, so we are sure of their quality.
- Select your subject. Here you must think about your personal interests and academic possibilities. Try choosing a topic that will be both narrow and still allow you to do research. In most cases you only have five paragraphs, so the topic cannot be too broad.
- Understand the style and tone of writing. Academic rating is usually very precise. That is why one should definitely check the samples and copy their tone. Remember that writing should be professional, yet interesting and not dry.
- Write your paper. Sometimes, the hardest thing is to actually sit down and start writing. When you see a blank page in front of you, it might be terrifying to do anything with it. However, as soon as you start, things will definitely get much easier from there.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Immigration Essay
We also want to talk more about the disadvantages of immigration essays. There are certain types of articles that require you to compare advantages and disadvantages. So below you will find some ideas one can work with.
The Most Common Immigration Essay Topics
We have lots of immigration topics for essay to write about. Remember that they should balance being narrow and yet interesting. We offer you some popular topics on immigration nowadays. But one can combine them with one's own ideas.
Check our topics about immigration and choose something for yourself:
- Lowered refugee quote after Trump administration.
- Affirmative asylum as a way to get a Green Card.
- Changes in policies after 9/11.
- The place of talent visas in the modern world.
- How much time does it take to become a Canadian citizen?
- Can refugees waiver fees for work permits?
- Military service as a path towards citizenship.
- Can anyone excuse illegal work in the country of one's choosing?
- The term "illegal alien" and its offensive nature.
- Is there a link between refugee programs and terrorism? (Check political science essay.)